How to Make Spinach Dough For Pan Mee/ Flat Spinach Noodle Soup2014-09-20
- Servings : 5 persons
- Prep Time : 60m
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 0m
Pan Mee is one of my favorite dishes.. In this recipe, I am using Spinach to make the dough. The benefits behind Popeye’s veg of choice…Spinach is well known for its nutritional qualities and has always been regarded as a plant with remarkable abilities to restore energy, increase vitality and improve the quality of the blood. There are sound reasons why spinach would produce such results, primarily the fact that it is rich in iron. Iron plays a central role in the function of red blood cells which help in transporting oxygen around the body, in energy production and DNA synthesis. Spinach is also an excellent source of vitamin K, vitamin A, vitamin C and folic acid as well as being a good source of manganese, magnesium, iron and vitamin B2. Vitamin K is important for maintaining bone health and it is difficult to find vegetables richer in vitamin K than spinach.
The recipe in this post shows how to make dough and soup using Thermomix end to end.
Ingredients For Dough
- 200 g spinach cut into 3 inches each
- 300 g plain flour
- 1 egg
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
Instructions To Make The Dough
- First, place the spinach vegetables into Thermomix bowl.
- Close lid and blend the vegetable using speed from 0-10 for about 30 seconds. Check the texture of spinach. It should become puree. If it is not fine enough, blend it again for another 10 to 20 seconds.
- Sieve the flour into Thermomix bowl. Then pour the egg into it too.
- Knead the flour for 2 mins. Depending on the vegetables you use, the dough might be wet. You can add some flour. The dough should be bouncy and easily pull out to shape.
Let the dough rest for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
Ingredients for Topping and Soup
- 130g dried mushrooms
- 50g fungus
- 400g Minced Pork Marinated with 2 table spoons of soy sauce
- 20g Shallots
- 10g cooking oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 200g spinage vegetables cut into 6cm
- 1200 hot water
- 200g dried ikan bilis/ dried anchovies
- Other ingredients for Topping
- Fried anchovies/ ikan bilis
- Fried Onion
Instruction to make Pan Mee soup
1. Place shallots and cooking oil, stir at Temp: Varoma, Time: 2 mins, Speed: Reverse Stir
2. Pour in minced pork, dried mushrooms and fungas. Cook at Temp: Varoma, Time: 10 mins, Speed: Reverse Stir
3. Place soy sauce and oyster sauce through the center of the lid, and cook for Temp: Varoma, Time: 2 mins, Speed: Reverse Stir. Remove the minced pork and set aside. This minced pork will be used as topping as well as ingredients for making the soup.
4. Pour hot water into TM bowl. Place the dried anchovies/ ikan bilis into TM basket, then place the basket into Thermomix pot. Boil at Temp: Varoma, Time: 15 mins, Speed: Reverse Stir. Remove the basket when done. This way you can remove the anchovies entirely from the soup since anchovies are used to make the soup base for the pan mee.
5. Open lid, place half portion of the minced pork from step 3 into Thermomix pot. Let it cook at Temp: Varoma, Time: 10 mins, Speed: Reverse Stir
6. Continue to cook at Temp: Varoma, Time: 10 mins, Speed: Reverse Stir. While boiling the soup, you can now get your dough. Tear the dough into small pieces and make them as thin as possible. Then place them into Thermomix pot through the center of lid. At the last 3 minutes, place the vegetables in as well.
7. Now, you can pour the pan mee and soup into bowls. Garnish with fried anchovies, fried shallots and minced pork which you prepared at step 3.
I have my pan mien cooked..
Place ikan bilis into Thermomix basket to prepare for the soup will make removal of the dried ikan bilis easy when the soup base is ready.
If you don’t have spinach, you can make the dough without spinach. For the soup, you can use ‘manicai’ or other vegetables instead.